Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Let's Get Acquainted (May 13)

Hello all! I hope all of the mothers out there enjoyed their Mother's Day. I don't have any kids yet so here are some photos of my mom and I.





I am also linking up with Latoya Reed at Flying into First Grade for her Let's Get Acquainted Linky. This time around she asked a couple of questions about how we got into teaching.


Linky Questions
1.  What made you decide to become a teacher?
2. What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher?
3. If you were not a teacher, what would you be?



I got into teaching after I got my bachelor's degree in Art History. I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to do with my degree and at the time I wasn't interested in 2 more years of college to get my Master's Degree. I worked random jobs in the meantime, including working at a ski resort. Finally I decided I wanted a career that I could be challenged in and actually be able to pay my bills. I started volunteering at the elementary school near me a couple of days a week. I absolutely LOVED it and I was hooked. So I looked into what I would need to do to get my certification.

The most rewarding thing about teaching for me is, watching my students make progress. I love that moment when their eyes light up when they understand something. I love watching my students finally put all the pieces together and become readers. I'll never forget one year when I had a student come up to me all excited that they could read. It is a very humbling feeling knowing that you have a small part in helping a child read.

If I was not a teacher, I honestly have no idea what I would do. At one point I decided I wanted to be a curator at the Louvre. (Oh to be 18 and have grandiose plans.) Look how beautiful this is. Just imagine what it would be like to come to work here every day.


Don't forget to link back up with Latoya. I can't wait to meet some new bloggers.

Happy Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I just adore the pics of you and your mom!!
    How sweet!
    I am taking my mom out for a semi-belated Mother's Day present and we are going to Detroit to see The Tenors! She is going to love it!
    Xoxo,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete