Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Books! Reading Roundup Linky Party


Hello All!

I hope all of you have been enjoying your weekend. I found this wonderful linky party hosted by Mary at Pitner’s Potpourri all about books! Books are one of my biggest weakness! I can’t go through a Barnes and Nobles or Borders without buying at least 1 book. (9 times out of 10 it is for my classroom.) So when I saw this linky party, I knew it would be right up my alley.
All you have to do is post about one professional book, one book strictly for pleasure, and one book that you will be using in your classroom that you have not read yet. Sounds easy, right? Click the picture to go to the orginal post and link up.
 

Professional Book
 

I actually have two professional books that I am reading. At my school, we don’t really have a writing program. So in effort to try to fill this void we are starting a book study on Lucy Calkins “Launch a Primary Writing Workshop: Getting Started with Units of Study for Primary Writing, K-2.” We are hoping after reading and discussing this book we will have a better understanding of how to implement writing in our classrooms with the materials we already have. I am also reading a book called “Teaching with Poverty in Mind” by Eric Jensen. I am hoping this book with give me some more insight in supporting my students.

Pleasure Reading

“Delusion in Death” by J.D. Robb. My mom and I have been following this series for years. This is the newest installment in the series. In the past, J.D. Robb’s books have been quick, suspenseful, and mindless. Just what I am looking for after spending a week with 28 2nd graders. I would suggest reading the series in order, however, there are only small parts that are referenced from past books. If you are unable to, you won’t be too lost.

Book to Teach a Skill:

“I Need My Monster” by Amanda Noll and Howard McWilliam. I saw this book at Barnes and Nobel over Winter Break this year. A couple of days later, I saw this fabulous idea on Pinterest (of course!) about teaching inference with this book. I knew it was meant to be! All you have to do is read the book without showing the pictures to your students. Then have them draw what they think the main character’s monster looks like. After all of them have finished, you compare what they drew to the picture in the book. I was absolutely excited that I found this wonderful idea. Inference can be so incredibly hard to teach. I was also thinking about having them describe what their monster looks like since we have been working on adjectives the last couple of months. Click here to go to the orginal pin.

Click on any of the pictures of the books to take you to Amazon to buy your very own copy.

Happy reading!
Krystyn

No comments:

Post a Comment